Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Insomnia

"Insomnia" (2008)
-Powers

Awake. I stare. I lay. Think.
The minutes tick. So short and empty.
I wonder. Awake. I twitch. Drink.
I hold his pillow, floral and lumpy.

Hours before, this room was lively.
Laugh. I visit. I joke. Love.
Unplanned soiree; adjourned so kindly.
I clean. Recall. Undress. Turn in.

Sleep and insomnia are famous rivals.
One we are fond of; the other is cruel.
When sleep fails to visit, then I am most thoughtful.
The same thought at noon would paint me foolish.

I turn the page to continue this jot.
I long to see the other side, still.
Its tough to flow from what I've forgotten.
For a moment, I doze. But not sleep.

A list runs through my mind.
Things to do, those to call. 
I need to unwind. Checked the time.
I reach for the Tylenol PM.

No comments:

Post a Comment